Darkwind - Viewing Topic: Baldur's Gate III VS Wastland III
Welcome Guest! » Darkwind » Discussion » General Discussion » Baldur's Gate III VS Wastland...

Pages: << prev 1 next >> Reply to Topic Create New Topic Create New Poll
Baldur's Gate III VS Wastland III
*Longo*
Longos Merry Men
Darkwind Guru

Mutants Faction

Avatar

Member Level

Group: Marshals
Posts: 6,565
Joined: Dec 15, 2007

Send an email to *Longo* Send a personal messsage to *Longo* Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Anyone play both?

Thinking of getting one.
Loved all of the previous ones of both.
.........................
vet combatL1 ped1 paintladder semiprocombat ped2 wv pvp4 pvp1 gwped paintball pvp3 pvp5 slay2013 marshal circuit2 combat1 e2g raceL1

Posted Oct 10, 2020, 8:47 pm
Joel Autobaun
Joels Bastards
Darkwind Guru

Deathrace Mafia Faction

Member Level

Group: Subscribers
Posts: 4,587
Joined: Nov 10, 2008

Send a personal messsage to Joel Autobaun Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Wait for BG to be "complete". For one thing it will be more fun to play without so many bugs and probably restarts.

So many gamers paying 80$(Canadian pesos - that's a side complaint for me) to BETA test is even stupider than buying a brand new game in the mid 90s (to also be a beta tester).

Gamers deserve every bad thing they get with this kind of thing. Also why pre-order anything you can just buy on release day?

I'll admit, I am the odd man out in this stuff... so maybe don't listen to me.

Wasteland 3 I cannot comment, I have nothing against them, but I will be waiting for a sale for sure on that one too.
.........................
vet northernsummer deathrce1 raceL1 deathrceL1 ww ped1 sssc paintball semiprocombat ped2 e2g gwextrav gwped combat1 paintladder elmsautumn gateautumn wv race1 combatL1 pvp1 pvp5 pvp4 zom pvp3 circuit1 pvp2 circuit2 circuit3 ss2fl67 slay2013 storm2013 geek triangle197,84,26

Posted Oct 10, 2020, 10:14 pm Last edited Oct 10, 2020, 10:15 pm by Joel Autobaun
*Longo*
Longos Merry Men
Darkwind Guru

Mutants Faction

Avatar

Member Level

Group: Marshals
Posts: 6,565
Joined: Dec 15, 2007

Send an email to *Longo* Send a personal messsage to *Longo* Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Thanks! Groove said similar things about BG3. And best case would be I wait for Wasteland 3 at a better deal, but a rainy day off work could push me over the edge and pay full
Price lol
.........................
vet combatL1 ped1 paintladder semiprocombat ped2 wv pvp4 pvp1 gwped paintball pvp3 pvp5 slay2013 marshal circuit2 combat1 e2g raceL1

Posted Oct 11, 2020, 1:35 pm
*StCrispin*
Beasts of the Lair
Darkwind Guru

Anarchists Faction

Member Level

Group: Marshals
Posts: 2,657
Joined: Feb 13, 2012

Send an email to *StCrispin* Send a personal messsage to *StCrispin* Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

*Longo* said:
Anyone play both?

Thinking of getting one.
Loved all of the previous ones of both.


I loved Wasteland (original) but havenít gotten too far in the new (2) version.

I HATED Baldurs Gate.

So I feel like if I were to say which one to get, my opinion would not match yours (since you did Not hate BD)

Iíve Only heard the statement about BD 3 being ďless of a sequel and more of an exploitation of an established and recognized nameĒ and how it fails to reflect any of the style or feel of the original.  And that it is better described as a sequel to DIVINITY 3 with a BD skin slapped on it.

If thatís good or bad I couldnít say since I didnít like BD and Iíve never played Divinity.  Maybe it means they fixed the aspects I didnít like. (The non-deviating linear, forced to do things I wouldnít have done, non-open-world, play style filled with Tropes that would draw criticism if used in a movie or TV show).

However if I were given the choice I would go for Wateland over any fantasy themed RPG if the prices were equal.
.........................
vet wv gwped paintladder paintball marshal raceL10,2,0

Posted Oct 11, 2020, 7:24 pm
*StCrispin*
Beasts of the Lair
Darkwind Guru

Anarchists Faction

Member Level

Group: Marshals
Posts: 2,657
Joined: Feb 13, 2012

Send an email to *StCrispin* Send a personal messsage to *StCrispin* Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Iím currenly playing:

óElite Dangerous (space flight combat and trading open world MMO) on Sale $7.50 USD
óDeity Empires (4x similar time master of magic but very Indy. Has a lot of depth to it if you overlook graphics) On Sale $12-something
óBlood Bowl 2 (had it a while, got it on sale)
ó Advanced Tactics Gold (Wargame)
óCiv6

And Iím looking for people to play with me on all of those.
.........................
vet wv gwped paintladder paintball marshal raceL10,2,0

Posted Oct 11, 2020, 7:31 pm
*Ninesticks*
The Wombles
Darkwind Guru

Renegade

Avatar

Member Level

Group: Marshals + Rule Council
Posts: 3,368
Joined: Apr 11, 2008

Send an email to *Ninesticks* Send a personal messsage to *Ninesticks* Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Back to the original post, agree both look interesting but the price point puts them far outside of the region where I would take a punt to just see and wait for the refund if crappy.

I have been swimming down at the cheaper end of the gaming pool recently but haven't really found any 'new' gems just lot of 'meh'. Speaking as a lifetime Battletech fan, you can pick up the base game for cheap these days if you are looking for a new turn based game.
.........................
vet wv marshal pvp4 community pvp20,1,0

Posted Oct 14, 2020, 6:34 am
Grimm Sykes
Sand xbzyas
Darkwind Guru

Merchants Faction

Member Level

Group: Banned
Posts: 1,372
Joined: Mar 14, 2010

Send a personal messsage to Grimm Sykes Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Personally I have gotten a bit tired of AD&D games, but I really enjoy playing Wasteland 3
.........................
vet wv pvp5 pvp4

Posted Oct 14, 2020, 1:27 pm
Grimm Sykes
Sand xbzyas
Darkwind Guru

Merchants Faction

Member Level

Group: Banned
Posts: 1,372
Joined: Mar 14, 2010

Send a personal messsage to Grimm Sykes Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

*Ninesticks* said:
Back to the original post, agree both look interesting but the price point puts them far outside of the region where I would take a punt to just see and wait for the refund if crappy.

I have been swimming down at the cheaper end of the gaming pool recently but haven't really found any 'new' gems just  lot of 'meh'. Speaking as a lifetime Battletech fan, you can pick up the base game for cheap these days if you are looking for a new turn based game.


Battletech Heavy Metal expansion plus the free Battletech Advanced 3062 mod makes for a very addicting and engrossing game.
.........................
vet wv pvp5 pvp4

Posted Oct 14, 2020, 1:43 pm
*Longo*
Longos Merry Men
Darkwind Guru

Mutants Faction

Avatar

Member Level

Group: Marshals
Posts: 6,565
Joined: Dec 15, 2007

Send an email to *Longo* Send a personal messsage to *Longo* Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

*Ninesticks* said:
Speaking as a lifetime Battletech fan, you can pick up the base game for cheap these days if you are looking for a new turn based game.


Iíll have to check this out. I think I may have played Battletexh once... maybe on the C64 many years ago
.........................
vet combatL1 ped1 paintladder semiprocombat ped2 wv pvp4 pvp1 gwped paintball pvp3 pvp5 slay2013 marshal circuit2 combat1 e2g raceL1

Posted Oct 14, 2020, 3:02 pm
Grimm Sykes
Sand xbzyas
Darkwind Guru

Merchants Faction

Member Level

Group: Banned
Posts: 1,372
Joined: Mar 14, 2010

Send a personal messsage to Grimm Sykes Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

*Longo* said:
*Ninesticks* said:
Speaking as a lifetime Battletech fan, you can pick up the base game for cheap these days if you are looking for a new turn based game.


Iíll have to check this out. I think I may have played Battletexh once... maybe on the C64 many years ago


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCHT9OeGrR8
.........................
vet wv pvp5 pvp4

Posted Oct 14, 2020, 4:24 pm
*Ninesticks*
The Wombles
Darkwind Guru

Renegade

Avatar

Member Level

Group: Marshals + Rule Council
Posts: 3,368
Joined: Apr 11, 2008

Send an email to *Ninesticks* Send a personal messsage to *Ninesticks* Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Lots of great mods as well as the three DLC packs - 3025 extended makes a great change to the base game giving lots of width.

Whatever floats your boat in the btech universe pretty sure you can get close to your preference - the developers bringing in the mod community before ceasing further development was a great move.

The one and only development studio/game I have ever (and likely ever will) back on Kickstarter.
.........................
vet wv marshal pvp4 community pvp20,1,0

Posted Oct 14, 2020, 5:24 pm
Alocalypse
Advanced Race Labs
Darkwind Guru

Renegade

Member Level

Group: Members
Posts: 2,236
Joined: May 6, 2007

Send a personal messsage to Alocalypse Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

I backed both the WL2 and WL3 kickstarters and enjoyed them a lot.

Wasteland 3 is better than Wasteland 2 in every way. To me the game world initially felt a bit smaller than WL2, but it's just more densely packed and streamlined (less/almost no empty walking around). Has way more voice acting and locations that felt more real and atmospheric than anything in WL2.

More new interesting factions to move the setting forward, even if the ideas behind some were a bit of a miss for me there were enough interesting and hilarious ones for it to not be a problem.

The snowy setting didn't do much for me on it's own, but it's cool to have some variety from the old post-apocalyptic desert setting. WL3 pulls off something great with licensed music that I don't think any other RPG has even tried to do and few games actually succeed at. Using the same music supervisor that normally does Tarantino films helps here maybe.

The most efficient way to kill things is to run them over with your bad ass war wagon. That is a huge plus too of course.

I liked the overall story and I'm still thinking about it weeks later. While the actual decisions and outcomes were something I predicted (or was hoping for, because I had high hopes), the actual morality behind it is really challenging to figure out because it turns out everyone in wasteland has really bad morals. Definitely giving it a replay later to try different paths and such.

WL3 has had several bugfix patches, mostly for console issues I think and supposedly will have DLC in the future. So there's probably no harm in waiting for a discount or something like the Directors Cut edition of WL2 either, unless you're really itching to play it right away. I was definitely waiting for it ever since it was announced and repeatedly delayed.

Would probably actually be my game of the year if I hadn't played Disco Elysium/Hades this year too, XCOM: Chimera Squad would be a decent runner up as well.


Can't really comment on BG3 as I haven't tried it, or other Larian games, yet. However recently I tried a bit of Pathfinder: Kingmaker and it reminded me of Baldurs Gate. To a fault - with it's complex systems and real threat of dying to early game encounters/wolves due to bad rolls or a bad character build. However I think I prefer the more story/choice heavy style of Tyranny, Torment, Pillars of Eternity more.


I really enjoyed the Battletech game for a lot of the same reasons I liked Darkwind back in the day so I would definitely recommend checking that out too. Unless you just really hate the concept of giant robots or something. It had problems at launch with turns taking way too long and I had to use a mod to speed up load times but I enjoyed it regardless. Their shadowrun games, especially Dragonfall, are also worth mentioning.


It's Interesting to see Elite mentioned here, but there's a connection here for sure.

The ship customization in elite is insanely well balanced and the dogfighting physics have totally ruined other space games for me. It really gives the feeling of piloting a huge machine in a way that no other game besides Mechwarrior 2 has done for me. I also happen to really like casually learning about interesting astronomy stuff from it.

Even though nowdays I usually just get really into Elite Dangerous a few months at a time, every time a new season of The Expanse comes out.

.........................
vet deathrce1 raceL1 race1 combat1 northernsummer gateautumn elmsautumn deathrceL1 semiprocombat wv cont

Posted Oct 17, 2020, 9:54 pm
*goat starer*
Special Circumstances
Darkwind Guru

Evan Reds Faction

Avatar

Member Level

Group: Sinbinned
Posts: 10,907
Joined: Oct 29, 2007

Send an email to *goat starer* Send a personal messsage to *goat starer* Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

hi alo
.........................
vet wv zom pvp4 cont community deathrceL1 marshal pvp3 pvp2

Posted Oct 17, 2020, 10:09 pm
*Longo*
Longos Merry Men
Darkwind Guru

Mutants Faction

Avatar

Member Level

Group: Marshals
Posts: 6,565
Joined: Dec 15, 2007

Send an email to *Longo* Send a personal messsage to *Longo* Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Alocalypse said:
I backed both the WL2 and WL3 kickstarters and enjoyed them a lot.

Wasteland 3 is better than Wasteland 2 in every way. To me the game world initially felt a bit smaller than WL2, but it's just more densely packed and streamlined (less/almost no empty walking around). Has way more voice acting and locations that felt more real and atmospheric than anything in WL2.

More new interesting factions to move the setting forward, even if the ideas behind some were a bit of a miss for me there were enough interesting and hilarious ones for it to not be a problem.

The snowy setting didn't do much for me on it's own, but it's cool to have some variety from the old post-apocalyptic desert setting. WL3 pulls off something great with licensed music that I don't think any other RPG has even tried to do and few games actually succeed at. Using the same music supervisor that normally does Tarantino films helps here maybe.

The most efficient way to kill things is to run them over with your bad ass war wagon. That is a huge plus too of course.

I liked the overall story and I'm still thinking about it weeks later. While the actual decisions and outcomes were something I predicted (or was hoping for, because I had high hopes), the actual morality behind it is really challenging to figure out because it turns out everyone in wasteland has really bad morals. Definitely giving it a replay later to try different paths and such.

WL3 has had several bugfix patches, mostly for console issues I think and supposedly will have DLC in the future. So there's probably no harm in waiting for a discount or something like the Directors Cut edition of WL2 either, unless you're really itching to play it right away. I was definitely waiting for it ever since it was announced and repeatedly delayed.

Would probably actually be my game of the year if I hadn't played Disco Elysium/Hades this year too, XCOM: Chimera Squad would be a decent runner up as well.


Can't really comment on BG3 as I haven't tried it, or other Larian games, yet. However recently I tried a bit of Pathfinder: Kingmaker and it reminded me of Baldurs Gate. To a fault - with it's complex systems and real threat of dying to early game encounters/wolves due to bad rolls or a bad character build. However I think I prefer the more story/choice heavy style of Tyranny, Torment, Pillars of Eternity more.


I really enjoyed the Battletech game for a lot of the same reasons I liked Darkwind back in the day so I would definitely recommend checking that out too. Unless you just really hate the concept of giant robots or something. It had problems at launch with turns taking way too long and I had to use a mod to speed up load times but I enjoyed it regardless. Their shadowrun games, especially Dragonfall, are also worth mentioning.


It's Interesting to see Elite mentioned here, but there's a connection here for sure.

The ship customization in elite is insanely well balanced and the dogfighting physics have totally ruined other space games for me. It really gives the feeling of piloting a huge machine in a way that no other game besides Mechwarrior 2 has done for me. I also happen to really like casually learning about interesting astronomy stuff from it.

Even though nowdays I usually just get really into Elite Dangerous a few months at a time, every time a new season of The Expanse comes out.



Hi Alo!
Thanks for the info. Gonna give WL 3 a try now, and put a few other games mentioned in this thread in my wishlist.
.........................
vet combatL1 ped1 paintladder semiprocombat ped2 wv pvp4 pvp1 gwped paintball pvp3 pvp5 slay2013 marshal circuit2 combat1 e2g raceL1

Posted Oct 18, 2020, 12:43 am
Groovelle
Asphalt Witch
Darkwind Guru

Renegade

Avatar

Member Level

Group: Subscribers
Posts: 729
Joined: Jul 15, 2009

Send an email to Groovelle Send a personal messsage to Groovelle Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

After picking up 100s of new games and putting them down because they didn't have *it*, I picked up a Switch. Holy crap, that's where all the games with magic in them are. I bought an 'indie' game. It's made with love. They included a map, a soundtrack, and even a bunch of stickers in it, just for spits and wiggles.

Try out War Groove. It's the best.
.........................
vet wv0,3,0

Posted Nov 10, 2020, 12:46 am Last edited Nov 10, 2020, 12:46 am by Groovelle
*Longo*
Longos Merry Men
Darkwind Guru

Mutants Faction

Avatar

Member Level

Group: Marshals
Posts: 6,565
Joined: Dec 15, 2007

Send an email to *Longo* Send a personal messsage to *Longo* Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Groovelle said:
After picking up 100s of new games and putting them down because they didn't have *it*, I picked up a Switch. Holy crap, that's where all the games with magic in them are. I bought an 'indie' game. It's made with love. They included a map, a soundtrack, and even a bunch of stickers in it, just for spits and wiggles.

Try out War Groove. It's the best.


Looks fun. I wish listed it on steam. Have to check the price on Switch.
.........................
vet combatL1 ped1 paintladder semiprocombat ped2 wv pvp4 pvp1 gwped paintball pvp3 pvp5 slay2013 marshal circuit2 combat1 e2g raceL1

Posted Nov 11, 2020, 12:52 am
Reply to Topic Create New Topic Create New Poll E-mail me when replies are made to this topic View Printable
» Darkwind » Discussion » General Discussion » Baldur's Gate III VS Wastland...

0.151 seconds - 26 queries - 0.47 load